PLAY & LEARN
and GROW …TOGETHER
Assalamu ‘Alaykum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakaytahu
Welcome to the Islamic Cultural Center School (ICCS) website which provides a brief overview of the School’s academic activities and achievements, as well as its policies and procedures.
The primary purpose of the ICCS is to provide a safe Islamic environment for students where they can develop intellectually and grow in their knowledge and love of Islam. Suggested statement: After nine years, we believe that we have laid the foundation to fulfill our mission by providing an educational institution in which the facility, teaching staff and curriculum equal and/or excel other schools both Islamic and secular.
This journey has had its challenges but we achieved many of our goals with the diligence and dedication of the staff and our community, both past and present.
In addition, we are extremely proud that our student body and staff represent a myriad of countries, and we take every opportunity to teach our students that we are Muslims first, united by our religion. We also teach that culture comes second to the religion, and is represented only in the different languages we speak, and the food that we eat — but that in the sight of Allah, we are ONE.
We believe that:
“WHOEVER LEARNS SOMETHING IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, SEEKING THAT WHICH IS WITH HIM, HE WILL WIN. AND WHOEVER LEARNS SOMETHING FOR OTHER THAN ALLAH, HE WILL NOT REACH THE GOAL, NOR WILL HIS ACQUIRED KNOWLEDGE BRING HIM CLOSER TO ALLAH.” (AL-HASAN AL-BASREE, RA)
Enjoy your tour and we look forward to meeting you in person.
Khadijah Jean Pryce, Ed.D.
Principal, Islamic Cultural Center School
Careers at ICC
The Mission of the Islamic Cultural Center School (ICCS) is to be a leading institute in providing high quality Islamic and secular education to its students. Our goal is to empower our students to become lifelong learners incorporating Islamic values through clearly defined goals in a collaborative environment where all members of our community are partners in fostering well-rounded global citizens who are prepared to achieve their maximum potential.
Last year was unique in its own way and brought many challenges as covid 19 cases surged in NYC. We implemented a virtual learning program for our students, which lasted all school year. Our virtual school year was a successful one due to the help of our devoted parents, teachers, administrators and support staff.
This year as we gear towards welcoming all our students and staff members back into the school building, we assure you that we at ICCS, have left no stone unturned to ensure the health and safety of all at our school premises. After thorough review of the NYS Department of Health (NYSDOH), the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the Department of Education (NYSED) Standard policy and Procedure and guidance, ICCS presents its Reopening Plan for the year 2021- 2022. The physical, social, emotional and academic health of students and teachers were paramount in the development of this plan.
The plan includes various policy and procedural protocols to be followed regarding:
- Communication/ Family and Community Engagement
- Health and Safety/ Facility Maintenance
- Child Nutrition
- Physical Well-Being
- Social Emotional Well-Being
- School Schedules/ Attendance and Chronic Absenteeism
- All Communications between the ICCS and its community stakeholders including but not limited to administration, faculty, staff, nurse, parents, students and community members will be clear and documented.
- ICCS will train all faculty, staff and students to follow Covid-19 protocols safely and correctly including but not limited to hand hygiene, proper face masking, social distancing and respiratory hygiene.
- ICCS will provide signage in classrooms, hallways and throughout the building presenting CDC and DOH guidance regarding personal protective equipment (PPE), specifically acceptable face coverings, social distancing, hand hygiene, respiratory hygiene and signs and symptoms of Covid-19.
- Any changes or additions in the ICCS reopening plan 2021-2022 will be clearly communicated to all our stakeholders via email and/ or zoom virtual meeting.
- All our updated ICCS reopening plans will be posted and can be found on our website https://www.iccschooleast96.org/
Health and Safety
Health and safety of our students and staff at ICCS is our top most priority, especially during the time of this global pandemic
- ICCS planned, reviewed and considered the number of students and staff allowed to return in person including the ability to maintain social distancing, PPE and face coverings. Acceptable face coverings include, but are not limited to, surgical masks, N95 Masks and cloth masks. All masks must completely cover the individual’s mouth and nose.
- A face shield alone is not acceptable as a face covering. Face shields will be used for mask breaks.
- ICCS has created a written protocol for daily temperature recording and Covid screening check in form to be submitted before parent drop off and bus pick up.
- ICCS Covid screening check in forms are designed for parents to fill in prior to dropping their child off to school. ICCS Covid screening check in form will authorize entry to individuals into ICC school premises based on their answers to questions regarding their exposure to covid-19. This form will have to be completed everyday in order for your child to enter school premises.
- All Students and Faculty will sanitize their hands before entering the school premises. It is recommended that they either change their current mask to a fresh one.
- If any child or faculty member is identified as sick, with a temperature over 100.4, they will be sent back home and can only return with sufficient evidence from their healthcare provider.
- Keeping in mind that the New York State currently does not have a vaccine for kids 12 years and under, the ICCS will be conducting random covid testing for kids in that particular age group (12 years and under) on a random basis, with full parent consent.
- ICCS will maintain a healthy nurse’s office and an isolation room monitored by a nurse’s aide. ICCS will utilize the nurse’s services to assess ill students and staff members. Ill students or staff members will be placed in the isolation room until exiting the building (prior to being picked up) and will require follow up documentation from a health care provider to return to school.
- ICCS will require all staff members and transportation personnel to perform a self health assessment prior to arriving at work.
- ICCS will require students to wear masks at all times on the school premises with exceptions to lunch time when teachers will monitor safe seating and removal of masks with proper precautions.
- Students using the bus facility are required to wear a mask while on the bus at all times.
- Outdoor activities will be encouraged for all classes and students will be able to take mask breaks during that time under the supervision of their teachers.
- ICCS will have assigned entry and exits for all students and staff members to limit cross traffic and avoid overcrowding. All siblings and elementary school students will enter and exit from the main door on the 97th street entrance, the Early Education students (EL-Kindergarten) will use the door on the 96th street and the Middle School will use the side doors on 96th street (not the main gate).
- All elementary school students will offer their salah upstairs in the gym while the middle school will be using the main hall for salah downstairs.
- Kids will be bringing their own salah mats from home in a ziploc bag which will be kept in school for a week. Salah mats will be sent back home for washing and cleaning on Friday and are required to be brought back to school every Monday.
- Teachers will ensure 3 to 6 feet social distancing at all times while students are in the cafeteria.
- Desks in the classrooms will be set 3 feet apart.
- ICCS buildings will be constantly ventilated, cleaned and disinfected. Classroom doors will remain open to help with proper ventilation.
- All students are required to bring their own refillable water bottles. We will provide a station to refill the bottles as the students will not be allowed to use the water fountain.
- ICCS will post covid safety signs everywhere including all main halls, cafeteria, gym and classrooms.
- ICCS will require all parents, visitors, vendors and contractors to complete health screening before entering the main door of the school building.
- Parents and visitors will not go beyond the front desk area once the school starts unless absolutely required. They will be accompanied by school staff members if they need to proceed farther than the security desk.
- All parents and visitors will remain masked at all times while at the building premises.
- ICCS will conduct school safety drills with modifications to ensure proper social distancing between persons.
- ICCS will provide instruction on hand and respiratory hygiene including but not limited to signage, demonstrations, adequate facilities, touch free sanitizer dispensers and additional time for protocol. The school will ensure students and teachers wash hands after sharing objects and surfaces, before and after meals, after using the restrooms, sneezing, coughing or blowing nose, and/ or anytime the hands become dirty. When washing stations aren’t available, hand sanitizers will be used. Students will be monitored while using alcohol based hand sanitizers.
- ICCS will obtain and maintain an adequate supply of masks for staff members and students in case of a need. However staff members and students are highly encouraged to bring their own.
- ICCS has installed touch free hand sanitizer stations in all main areas of the building including areas outside the classrooms.
- Alternate bathroom stations will be opened to ensure distancing while students use the bathroom.
- Here at ICCS, we enjoy the liberty of having so much space. This allows us to maintain 3 to 6 feet of distancing amongst students at all times.
- ICCS will have water bottle filling stations for students to refill their bottles with water while maintaining safety and distance.
- ICCS periodically cleans high traffic areas including but not limited to copy machines, office spaces, door knobs, water filling stations (Traditional water fountains will not be used), and stairwells.
Protocol when a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 occurs:
- If a child or staff member is showing symptoms of covid-19, they will be immediately removed from class and sent to the nurse’s office.
- The nurse will assess the conditions of the person using proper PPE.
- If the covid symptoms are apparent, the student, including siblings of the students who may or may not show symptoms, will enter the isolation room and will to be picked up.
- For adults with apparent covid-19 symptoms and those who do not need to wait for their transport, will be asked to exit the building immediately and go home to quarantine.
- The parents/ guardian of the child and/ or the staff member will be asked to inform the health authorities immediately. The school will inform the relevant authorities for contact tracing purposes. Public health officials assume the task of contract tracing upon a report from the school.
- All areas and rooms will be disinfected at the recommended times from the local health agencies. Some classes will be immediately cleaned and students returned while some will require 24 hours before disinfecting occurs.
- All this may lead to a 1 to 2 day virtual learning from home. This varies from case to case.
- The ICCS will provide a procedure for returning back to school after an illness including documentation form your healthcare provider indicating a negative covid diagnosis.
- If a vaccinated child or vaccinated family member shows symptoms for covid virus, they are supposed to stay home in quarantine and get tested after 5 days. They may return to school with a negative COVID-test result. If they test positive they are supposed to stay home for another 7 days and then get tested. Failure to adhere to this rule, will lead to swift and strict action taken by ICC School resulting in your child to be removed from the school for the rest of the school year.
- If children aged 12 and under and / or coming from households that are not vaccinated, show virus-like symptoms or test positive for covid virus, they MUST stay home for 7 days and get tested. If they again test positive they are supposed to stay home for another 5 days and get tested. Kids may return to school upon providing a valid negative covid test result.Failure to adhere to this rule, will lead to swift and strict action taken by ICC School resulting in your child to be removed from the school for the rest of the school year.
Social Emotional Well-Being
ICCS is committed to focusing on the social emotional well-being of its students and staff members.
- ICCS has a full time counselor on site who will be completing social and emotional wellness checks on site.
- ICCS counselor acts as a liaison between the school administration and families with enrolled students and/or teachers/staff members, providing utmost care to their wellness needs.
- Each grade (EL – G8) at the ICCS will have a 20 minute social emotional learning class in the morning every day, addressing all social emotional needs and concerns in creative ways.
- ICCS will provide professional development for its staff members regarding the social emotional needs of their students, as well as how to work with students on the Covid-19 health emergency. We are prepared to provide support for developing coping skills and building resilience for the ICC community.
School Schedules, Attendance and Chronic Absenteeism
- Clear communication between parents and faculty is a priority and focus this year. Parents will be kept informed about their child’s performance, any changes in their schedule, schools’ new and updated policies and procedures will be distributed via emails, phone calls and/ zoom virtual meetings.
- Parents are required, by school policy, to keep the school informed of their child’s health at all times. If the child or any of their family members has COVID like symptoms or is covid positive, it is the responsibility of the parents to immediately inform the school and keep the child home till the quarantine time period is completely over. The child may return to school with a negative COVID result.
- All families must disclose their vaccination status to the school. This information is strictly for admin knowledge only and will not have any bearing on their child and their education.
- If any child has to stay home due to serious illness, including but not limited covid-19, they will be provided with a laptop from the school so that they can be taught virtually and do not miss out on important work.
- Chronic absenteeism is highly discouraged and students and/or staff members that fail to provide a valid reason for their being absent are subject to being penalized under our attendance policy.
- ICCS provides breakfast and lunch options to all its students all year round. ICCS will address all applicable health and safety guidelines regarding child nutrition guidelines.
- This year ICCS cafeteria is providing Halal/Zabiha hot lunch options to all its students.
- Cold lunch/ breakfast options will also be available to the students.
- ICCS will include protocols and procedures for hand hygiene before and after eating.
- Any sharing of any food and/ or beverages is strictly prohibited.
- ICCS will uphold protocols and procedures for required cleaning and disinfecting in between different groups of students.
- All kitchen spaces and appliances will be cleaned in accordance with all Food and Nutrition Guidelines.
- ICCS will require and ensure students to be socially distant while consuming food.
- ICCS has trained staff on food safety and food allergies.
Physical Education Classes
- Students will maintain 6 feet of separation at all times during the physical education class.
- All students and staff members are required to wear a mask if the gym period is indoors.
- While outside and maintaining a 6 feet distance, under strict supervision, kids may be allowed to remove masks.
- All students will wear masks upon re-entering the building.
Item(s) drop off
Any items dropped off for a student (lunch, books, etc) will be left with security at the front desk in front of the main door. A staff member will then be notified and they will bring those items to the child.
Flexibility of the Plan
The plan detailed in this report is subject to change and shift between various learning methods based on a multitude of factors, including but not limited to guidance from local health agencies or a return to virtual learning/ stay at home order from the State of New York. Additionally protocols may be modified based on most up-to-date recommendations from the State Department of Health and the Center for Disease Control.